Interesting Facts about the Solar System




Interesting Facts about the Solar SystemThe development was cause by the collapse of a giant molecular cloud, the mass at the centre collecting to make the Sun and a flat disk of dust around it which the planets and other bodies would at some point be formed from.

99.86% of the systemís mass is present in the Sun and the majority of the remaining 0.14% is contained inside the solar systemís eight planets.

The four smaller internal planets, also called the terrestrial planets (Venus, Mercury, Mars and Earth), are primarily made up of rock and metal. The four external planets, also called the gas giants (Saturn, Jupiter, Neptune and Uranus), are substantially larger and more huge than the internal planets.

Solar System Facts for Kids

The Solar System created around 4.6 billion years back.

The solar system includes the Sun and all the objects which orbit around it because of its gravity. Including things for example planets, comets, asteroids, meteoroids and moons.

You can find eight planets in the Solar System. The four internal planets are Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars while the four external planets are Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.

As of 2008, you can find also five dwarf planets: Pluto, Ceres, Eris, Makemake and Haumea.

The outer planets (also called gas giants) are bigger and made mostly of hydrogen, helium and other gases.

For 1000s of years humans were not aware of the Solar System and thought that Earth was at the middle of the Universe.

There is an asteroid belt which lies between the orbits or Mars and Jupiter, it includes a large number of irregular shaped asteroids.

How Does the Solar System Work

The Sun is the centre of the solar system and celestial bodies including the planets, their moons, the asteroid belt, comets and other things revolve around the Sun and are gravitationally bound to it. The Sun includes around 98% of all the material in the Solar System. 

The boundaries of the solar system's known planets fit in a sphere 50 AU in radius. Beyond that is the Oort Cloud that extends to a length of 100,000 AU. Beyond that is the closest star system is Alpha Centauri.

Note: The stars are not part of the solar system. Astronomers have found that some other stars, besides our own sun, have their own solar systems around them too.

Sun

Our Sun is the biggest object in our solar system. It is 4.6 billion years old.

Asteroids

Asteroids are tiny rocky objects orbiting the sun. They range in size from almost 1,000 km (600 miles) across to dust particles. They are so small to be considered planets. Most are present in the Asteroid Belt. Asteroids are also known as planetoids or minor planets.



Latest Articles


Interesting Facts about Platinum

Scientists analyzed samples of the metal following European exploration of the region started. Platinum has been used by ancient people in Central and South America.

Cool Facts about Gold

Not many chemicals can attack gold, so thatís why it maintains it shine even when buried for 1000ís of years. When compared with other metals, gold is much softer. One can beat 1 gram of gold to a 1 square meter sheet and light would shine via that sheet.

Interesting Facts about Wind Energy

One wind turbine can power as much as 500 homes. Wind mills date all the way back to the year 2000 BC where they were utilized in China.

Interesting Facts about Fruit

Fruit is beautiful, tasty and great for all us. Fruit is also interesting. Listed here is a brief collection of interesting facts about fruit.

Facts about the Rock Cycle

Liquid rock which cools quickly after exposure to the Earthís atmosphere are fine-grained and known as extrusive. Obsidian is an example of this kind of rock.